The all-natural selfie: It’s the newest trend in Hollywood, but you ever wonder what it takes for celebrities to maintain that amazing skin? Do they have personal assistants in town all day, applying foundation and moisturizer? Maybe they spend hours each week getting beauty treatments?
The truth is that good skin is a combination of a healthy lifestyle and effective skincare. You don’t have to live like a celebrity to have that level of glowing skin; you just need to implement healthy choices and practice a good routine. Learn how to below:
The Healthy Lifestyle Advantage
Your skin is your body’s largest organ and one of your most valuable assets. Caring for it goes beyond just skincare products. The things you do every day matter:
• What you eat: Fruits, vegetables and whole grains are great for your skin. For optimum results, increase your vitamin C intake, and lower your intake of unhealthy fats and refined carbohydrates. As a general rule, colorful meals are better for you than neutral colored foods such as potatoes, which are starchy and less nutritious.
• How much you exercise: Stress is hard on skin because it triggers acne and rashes. Exercise is a natural way to counteract stress, so get up and moving at a moderate pace (at least 30 minutes on most days).
• How much water you drink: Water is nature’s moisturizer, and that includes the water you drink. Drinking plenty of water helps keep your skin supple and glowing.
All of these habits go into creating a healthier, happier version of your skin.
Your Daily Skincare Routine
In the morning rush, you might not have time for an extensive skincare routine. But don’t fret! There are little tweaks you can make to your morning routine that can have a big impact on your skin.
• Limit your morning shower: Long, hot showers will dry out your skin. Keep the water warm, not hot and the shower or bath short.
• Use the right cleanser for your skin type: If your skin is dry, look for a product that hydrates. If you wear a lot of makeup, use a product designed to remove it. Try sample sizes until you find the cleanser that looks and feels best to you – this isn’t a one size fits all situation.
• Pat your skin dry: Avoid rubbing or scrubbing to remove the water; instead, pat your skin dry. A little water left on your skin helps add moisture.
• Apply an appropriate moisturizer immediately after showering: It should be light and not overly greasy.
• Protect yourself from UV rays: Buy skincare products that have SPF protection. Your skin will thank you with a healthy and happy glow.